The Health Categories dimension of the HRCS captures the area of health or disease being studied.
There are 21 separate categories which encompass all diseases, conditions and areas of health. Each of the Health Categories includes research into both disease and normal function e.g. studies of normal hepatic function and studies of liver cirrhosis will both be classified in the Oral and Gastrointestinal category.
Of the 21 categories, 19 refer to specific areas of health or disease. A Generic Health Relevance category has been included to capture research that is relevant to all diseases and conditions or to general health and well-being; and an Other category is included to code research that does not fit within the Generic category or the 19 health specific categories.
- Select one of the 21 Health Categories listed on the left to view full details
- You can also select the tabs at the top, as follows:
- Overview to review all the categories
- Summary to see an information table
- Advice for coding guidance on assigning Health Categories
- Search to find a particular category